Monday, March 19, 2018

Me Day

For 3 hours today I was in a far away land.

I needed no passport.

I tossed my fitbit in a basket and crept between the covers on a warm bed, tuned into the nature sounds being piped through the speakers and surrendered to the expert hands of a magician / masseuse. 

Ahhhhh yes  - the de-stress, seaweed wrap massage and aromatherapy treatment I got as a birthday present was joyfully redeemed today at the aptly named Nurture Day Spa. 

Followed by a pedicure with a view of the harbour during which I chatted with the owner of the spa who with her husband opted for the simpler life and dropped into Ucluelet 15 years ago.  It was very tempting to let my mind drift to similar possibilities for Allan and I.

All too soon Allan returned to extract me from my happy place and we did a little drive around Ucluelet and then "home" for lunch.  

A nap crossed our minds at the same time the sun decided to peep through the clouds so we opted to make the most of that (seeing snow in the forecast for Friday - WHAT??).

We drove the 30km to Tofino and payed our homage to the Roy Henry Vickers Gallery  and then wandered around town poking in and out of cool and wacky shops as we did.  Allan is on the search for some first nations carving knives for a first nations mask carving course he is taking.  We popped into a thrift store but found nothing.... well, not nothing, as it turns out.

No knives were to be had but the shopkeeper directed Allan to Chesterman Beach a little ways down the road and gave some vague directions to a Carving Shed on the beach where "George" would be carving and may have some info.

We hopped into the truck and away to Chesterman we went as the sun broke through the clouds although the little breeze that popped us was pretty chilly.  We started to walk along the beach looking for "George" and his shed.  We walked the whole beach and found nothing but beautiful homes with enviable waterfront views, plenty of dogs for Spanner to meet, and a few brave surfers. 






As we headed back to the car I suggested we take one last look in the opposite direction - in the small amount of beach on that side.... and lo and behold... we found the most amazing place. 

And "George". 

A carving shed, with wood and tools and art and so much history.  A sand and sawdust floor, colourful characters sitting around chatting.  We were warmly welcomed and we chatted for a while.  No knives, no great carving oracle with amazing wisdom....but a shed that could tell some incredible stories if it could.





It was so very cool. 

A brief stop at the cottage to change and then off to the famed Norwoods for dinner - a reservation obtained many weeks ago. 

It was sublime - a warm spinach salad I shall dream off ..... I can't even talk about the chocolate bombe with sour cream ice cream and the whiskey foam... 



How this day was just as magnificent as yesterday blows my mind.

Off to the hot tub under the stars with the sea lions barking half heartedly in the distance. 

I love Spring Break.

1 comment:

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...