Saturday, September 16, 2017

The nest

This is the second Saturday of the "empty nest".  

And to be perfectly honest..... it is quite enjoyable.

There is no doubt I miss my monkeys, a lot, and I am so proud of how they are doing out there in the world and so grateful for their communication and connection with us. 

And this nest is sure quieter in volume and activity.

With the parenting role on hold, or redirected in different ways, there is space.

Space for our spousal relationship.  We have more time to spend together, conversations are uninterrupted and timely, we are working out together, cooking together and managing to stack and unstack the dishwasher together without arguing (which was a task our children shared for years with no small amount of disagreement!).

We clean the kitchen and.... amazingly.... it stays clean! 

Our grocery bill is less than half it was.

We cannot get through a gallon of milk before it expires.

The dishwasher and washing machine run much less.

The children's bedrooms are clean and tidy and my blood pressure doesn't rise every time I walk by them - in fact I pause and look at the beauty of them. (and maybe have a little heart ache about the missing messy children)

Syncing our schedules take 5 minutes and very little logistical gymnastics

A pack of bacon lasts longer (ok not really)

The fridge, tupperware and shoe cupboards have all been cleaned out and restacked and neat.

We can eat mushrooms in everything.

We talk more to the dog.

We don't have to share the cookies.

No need to lock the bedroom door! 

It sure is an interesting new phase of life (and quite likely temporary if current statistics are to be believed).  So far I think we are doing just great.  Although I may be bugging both kids to come home for Thanksgiving - Christmas is just too long without hugs and face to face chats and laughs. 

Byres2 is wonderful but Byres4 is wonderfuller.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...