Friday, November 11, 2011

Standing with the Fallen (Guest Post)

The Maple Leaf frames French Sky

My daughter Lindsay was in France for 2 weeks in October.  Part of the object of the trip was to visit the D-Day Beaches and learn about the Canadian efforts in Europe.






Below are Lindsay's words and photos:

 While in France we visited a few war cemeteries that were all so different but still so moving. The Canadian cemetery was so full of patriotism even though we were thousands of miles away from home. It was so touching to see that entire towns (Bernieres sur Mer and Dieppe) were as affected by and grateful to the Canadian soldiers as Canadians at home were. I had no idea how well represented and appreciated we were as a country in a place so far away.

It was very moving to be able to walk where the soldiers fought so many years ago. We were able to go inside the bunkers at Juno beach where we could very realistically visualize what happened on a day to day basis during the war. It was eye opening, it made Remembrance Day more real and have so much more meaning for me.

The poem Flanders Fields has so much more power and meaning for me.  You really got that "row on row" feeling, it made my heart full of pride as the same time it was heavy with sorrow. It affected so many families those many years ago, and it still does today.
Canadian Centre at Juno Beach

Juno Beach

Canadian War Cemetery


Row on Row

Lest we forget


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...