Monday, October 10, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

I love tradition. 

Thanksgiving means a few things to me:


Family
Fall
The Cabin
Turkey
Ham

Going to our cabin in the woods is like shrugging into my favourite sweater....... I know exactly how it will feel: the crackling fire, the comfy couches for reading, the swaying trees outside the window, the rain beating on the roof, Papa sitting in his green chair, the fridge that shudders and clunks on its own rhythm, the possessed coffee maker that makes more noise than a flock of Canadian geese and produces brewed coffee if it feels like it, the click of the kettle, the green mugs hanging on the wonky cabinet, the music old and new, the Vinyl Cafe stories, thechats and giggles in the pitch dark as all 4 of us sleep in the loft, lots of cuddles, brisk walks in the cool air........
Our Driveway

Strolling to the Barn

Sunshine Valley

Being there is like taking a big breath and having a big sigh....... it clears the heart and the soul.

We pulled off another epic Thanksgiving meal in an electric frying pan plugged in on the porch, a 12lb turkey in the convection microwave and bacon brussel sprouts, yams and mashed potatoes with gravy and creme brulee from the 2 burner gas stove!  It's an uncoordinated yet graceful dance in the kitchen as each person bobs and weaves around the others to get their dish made!  We do it every year..... it just works, it feels right...for us.



I am thankful for my family near and far who love so much and in so many ways, for friends who add such joy and colour to my life, for homes and cabins and jobs and cars and food and clothes and all the other trappings of life and for my God who loves me enough to bless me more than I deserve. Much, much more.

“Wake up now, look alive, for here is a day off work just to praise Creation: the turkey, the squash, and the corn, these things that ate and drank sunshine, grass, mud, and rain, and then in the shortening days laid down their lives for our welfare and onward resolve. There's the miracle for you, the absolute sacrifice that still holds back seed: a germ of promise to do the whole thing again, another time. . . Thanksgiving is Creation's birthday party. Praise harvest, a pause and sigh on the breath of immortality.”
Barbara Kingsolver,
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life


Be thankful friends.......

2 comments:

  1. i wish i was a part of a family like yours.my family cut me off because i have a abusive husband.other than my 3 daughters im all alone

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you feel alone. I have had my share of struggles to but I do know how blessed I am. I hope you find peace and happiness. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...