Thursday, September 1, 2011

12

My son David , my "baby" turned 12 today.  September 1, 2011.

On one hand it seems like just yesterday he terrified us with his very quick arrival and rather blue tinged appearance and on the other hand it seems like a lifetime ago....... after a scare at his birth he came home and settled in to our family very well.  But unlike his sister who slept through the night at 6 weeks old (don't hate me - keep reading...) he had several digestive issues and didn't sleep through the night until he was 8 months old! 

In many ways he was an easier baby than Lindsay..... or was I just more relaxed and bit more confident?  Or was it because he is a boy?   I don't know.

What I do know is that our family needed David.  We needed his laid back, loving, smiling self.  To this very day his smile melts my heart.  He is such a caring and sensitive and empathetic child.  In this day and age and in this culture this has meant he can be bullied and easily hurt but he is learning that he can be strong in the face of that and be no less who he is.  He is learning to banish the voices that say caring = weak, sensitivity = wimp and seeing that standing up for others and yourself is good and noble and shows a strength of character beyond his years.

We needed David for his cuddles and his giggle......and his whip smart observations about the world and his deep curiosity about how things work.  He makes us pay attention to what is around us and how it works.  I love how he "disappears" into books and reads for hours and sometimes forgets he is back in the real world...... I have seen him command the dishwasher to "Accio" with wand action ....... forgetting though he may resemble Harry Potter he does not - yet - have his magical powers!

He is also our dreamy, forgetful child who sometimes drives us all crazy with his absentmindedness.  We joke that we can be standing at the door ready to go somewhere and David is still upstairs playing lego in his underpants!  He is getting better at paying attention to the world around him.

He is a deep thinker with a big heart.  He feels deeply and thinks creatively.  The world is lucky to have him and I am so blessed to be his Mom. 

I love you David Byres - 500billion x 2485750026762559002 x 60 trillion x infinity........(and if you think he won't try and figure out that math you don't know David!).

Sharing Food Cart lunch with Mom

Where does he get his Root Beer love from???

With the sister he adores

In an ear?

Following in his Dad's footsteps

Reading in the car

Last day of being 11

Birthday at Sleeping Lady Resort

Course #5 of his birthday breakfast buffet

Riding Postoffice....

1 comment:

Disrupted

It's been a CoVID while since I was in this space.  I'm here today to muse about disruption.  I am feeling disrupted.  I don&#...